Please complete the Short Term Rental Application and mail or email to the Codes Department. After review and fees are determined you will be sent an email, then return to this site and submit payment with the payment button below, please be sure to enter your account number when making a payment.

7 Community Circle Wilmington, NY 12997

Short Term Rental Permit Application

Complete Payments Here

What is a Short-Term Rental?

A Short-Term Rental, also known as a vacation rental, is the rental of a legally-licensed dwelling unit for periods of less than 30 consecutive days per occurrence. A Short-Term Rental License is required prior to advertising and renting your property.

Who needs to apply for a Short-Term Rental License?

Any owner renting a property for a period of 30 consecutive days or less is required to apply for a Short-Term Rental Permit. It is the owner(s)’ responsibility to know and comply with all ordinances, resolutions and regulations that apply to short term rentals within the Town of Wilmington. A registration is also require by the Essex County Treasurers Office.

What if I do not obtain a Short-Term Rental License?

Renting or advertising your home for rent on a short-term basis without a license is in violation of the Town of Wilmington’s ordinances and subject to enforcement processes as provided for in the building code.

Do I also need to obtain a separate business license?

No. The STR Business License is all you need to begin advertising your rental and remitting taxes.

What is the cost of an STR License?

Currently the cost to license is $300 a unit plus $50 for each sleeping area.

Does my short-term rental permit apply to multiple properties?

No, each Short Term Rental needs its own Permit.

Do I have to display my license?

Yes. The STR License, visitor emergency information, must all be posted in a conspicuous place within the short-term rental unit at all times. Your STR License PDF can be found in the Business Center by clicking your account name under “Manage Your Account(s)”.

Is the Town working with Airbnb?

No. Airbnb does not collect or remit lodgers’ tax to the Town of Wilmington on behalf of property owners and/or authorized agents.

Is the Town working with Vrbo?

No. Vrbo does not collect or remit lodgers’ tax to the Town of Wilmington on behalf of property owners and/or authorized agents.

Can I pay by credit card?

Yes! We are able to take Visa and Mastercard. The Town of Wilmington does not assess a convenience fee but your credit card company might impose a fee. .

Can I pay by e-check ?

Yes! You can select your e-check during checkout. In doing so, you authorize your bank to send the payment electronically to the Town of Wilmington. The town does not pull the money from your account, ever.

I need to close my account. What do I do?

Please email the Town of Wilmington at Please include the closure date and the reason you are closing the account.